The Reference Collections excels in the fields of scientific research, studies and journalism, as it provides special services for a wide range of users. It can be found in the Cultural Centre (Dom kulture) on the main square of Čačak, in Župana Stracimira Street No. 1.
The department disposes a book fund of 20 000 books from every field of research, ordered by the UDK system (Universal Decimal Classification) and consecutive numbers. The users do not have first-handed access to the book fund, and books can only be used in the reading room of the section (with room for 12 readers).
Since 1997, the library has worked with a computer system, so the users can, apart from using the cardboard catalogue (writer, topic or central catalogue), obtain all-important information quickly and easily by using the database “Biblio”. The classification is done continuously.
Some collections represent an extraordinarily precious part of the section’s fund:
- The basic fund: scientific literature from every field of knowledge.
- Reference literature: bibliographies, catalogues, encyclopedias, Serbian and foreign language dictionaries, atlases.
- Editions: collected and selected works of national and foreign writers, all issues of the periodical of the “Serbian Literary Association”, both issues of “The Serbian literature in 100 books”, publications of the Serbian Academy for Science and Arts, and many more.
- The fund of old and rare books: it is set apart in a special bookcase and on separate shelves and contains publications in Serbian, which have been printed mainly until the end of the 19th century. The same treatment is reserved for publications from the time of the Balkan Wars and the First World War (1912-1918), the Second World War (1941-1945), important publications in the photo type technique, books whose distribution is prohibited, and books with dedications by the writer (guests of the “Dis’ Spring”, distinguished writers…)
- The Local History Colelction fund: it is acquired according to the users’ interests
- The legacy of Milivoj (1871-1941) and Božidarka Filipović (1874-1958): the precious personal library, unique in Serbia and includes more than 4000 monographs and serial publications, for example a complete edition of The Serbian Literary Herald (new and old series), The Anniversary of Nikola Čupić, etc.
The Reference Collections also provides Interlibrary Loan services in Serbia and with other countries.